Just as I've been dreading the end of the summer, this week's CSA share included not just two, but 4 tomatoes. Let's hear it for The King of the Vegetables (shh...we all know it's actually a fruit)! That's an unofficial title of course, granted by....well, me--one of the tomato's biggest fans.
I think I'm going to eat at least two of them raw, but I'll have to think of something creative to do with the others. Ideas?

Here's an alternative (less cheerful) take on this week's share...

Just as I've been dreading the end of the summer, this week's CSA share included one of the heftiest veggies of the autumn harvest...butternut squash. Where did the summer go? Don't get me wrong; I love butternut squash, but not until October or November maybe. One of my favorite recipes is the Barefoot Contessa's Butternut Squash Risotto. I have fond memories of shopping for and cooking this recipe with an old friend. We had to hunt down the saffron threads, but we found them at the delectable Treasure Island grocery store (which I just realized I'd forgotten about, but now miss terribly). However, I have no desire to eat risotto anytime soon. Especially not if this hot and sticky weather holds up. Give me more summer veggies...I'm not ready for the hearty squashes yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment