Eggplant Rolls stuffed with Cheese


I had leftover cheese from making the stuffed shells. It seemed a shame to throw it out, so I found a recipe for Eggplant Rolls and tweaked it to my specifications for an easy weeknight dinner.


Eggplant Rolls adapted from Epicurious

1-lb eggplant, sliced lengthwise, 1/4 inch thick

olive oil

mozzarella, shredded
feta, crumbled (I also used leftover ricotta/mozz mixture from stuffed shells)
basil
tomato sauce

Mix cheeses and basil together.

Spread olive oil on the eggplant slices on a broiling pan. Broil on low for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden. Turn eggplant slices and oil again. Broil for 3 to 4 minutes.


Pour some tomato sauce in the bottom of glass pyrex container.

When the eggplant is cool enough to touch, put some cheese mixture along the eggplant. Roll-up the eggplant and place seam-side down on top of the sauce.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until the cheese starts to ooze out.
(The photo shows the rolls before baking.)


This was a very easy dish and re-heated very well for lunch. I know the adaptations I made to the recipe make it a lot less interesting/homemade. I'm sure making your own "spicy tomato sauce" would make it fabulous, as would goat cheese rather than feta, but this was so darn easy and felt like the perfect combination of healthy and indulgent...I mean, vegetables...stuffed with cheese?! I had more than one co-worker "ooo" and "ahh" over the sight of this plate coming out of the microwave. People envying your lunch is a pretty good sign, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment