Eh bien, tant pis!

But I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it's real; if it's out of the can then nothing. No, I want the pie, but then not heated. --my favorite movie ever

I never knew that Nora Ephron (director of When Harry Met Sally and other less awesome romantic comedies) was a foodie, but then again I didn't really know anything about her until I read this New Yorker article about her new Julia Child film. The article had me wishing Ephron would be my older, mom-like friend, so I could go over to her Midtown apartment and eat shrimp scampi and Provençal tomatoes and get a pep-talk from this master of overcoming self-pity.

Then there's Julia. I can't wait to see the film, for one, because Meryl Streep (another favorite!) is playing her, and two, I don't know that much about Child but she sounds equally inspiring. I loved this excerpt from Child's memoir: "Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed--eh bien, tant pis!" Sounds like my kinda broad! And exactly the kind of thing I need to hear (presently and probably somewhat regularly).

Oh, and I think I'm going to start reading food-themed memoirs. So, watch out book club; I got some ideas up my sleeve.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth! I am enjoying your new blog. Try the book "Comfort Me with Apples: More Adventures at the Table" by Ruth Reichl. An enjoyable tale of the makings of a restaurant critic/cook :) (plus recipes)

    ReplyDelete